The Grand Castle (MIT Mystery Hunt 2020)
The Grand Castle is one of the first two starter rounds of the 2020 MIT Mystery Hunt, alongside the Storybook Forest round.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Grand Castle is modelled after the classic fairy-tale castles, particularly those found in theme parks such as Disneyland or Disneyworld (both containing a region called Fantasyland with a centerpiece building resembling a similar castle). The naming and overworld design of the puzzles in this round also reflect this, many containing either medieval-ish elements or other classic theme park attractions such as an information booth (Penny Park Guide) and Ferris Wheel (The Ferris of Them All). Fittingly, in the center of the overworld menu is the meta, depicted by a large castle surrounded by a moat with a bridge connecting the island to the rest of the region. On the full map of Penny Park, this round is also central, with every other round connecting to it via a path, further informing the solver that it is the first round to be approached, despite the Storybook Forest round being unlocked at the exact same time.
List of Puzzles[edit | edit source]
- The Ferris of Them All - Depicted (unsurprisingly) by a ferris wheel.
- Moat-er Boats - Depicted by a kiosk next to the castle's moat and a single boat floating on the water.
- Penny Park Guide - Depicted by an information booth modelled after a castle's turret.
- The Scottish Display - Depicted by an outdoors theatre.
- Snow Job - Depicted by a snow-covered building, likely a ski lodge of some kind.
- The Trebuchet - Depicted fittingly by a trebuchet.
- The Castle - Metapuzzle. Depicted by the large castle in the center of the moat.